I don’t know about you, but I tend to over pack, a lot. And there were SO MANY things I thought I would need on my honeymoon that I didn’t even touch. And, when I looked around me, other people didn’t appear to need them either.
Here are some things I wish I had not packed:
- Makeup: I know, hear me out though. But I got sunburned (you may be one of the lucky ones that tan) so my normal makeup just looked weird. I have two sets of makeup, my on the go/workout/light coverage makeup and my regular to heavy coverage makeup. The light coverage was nice to have, but there was no reason for me to bring eye shadow pallets and several types of lip stuff. It was just unnecessary. We were on the beach or at the bar, mostly in our swim suits and not needing makeup. The few times we did get dressed up I put a little on but not much.
- Hair Products: I lugged my hair straightener and hair products down there, and I never used them. I tried straightening my hair one night and it curled faster than I could straighten it. As for hair products, it was pretty much a lost cause. If you happen to be lucky enough to have hair you can control, you may want to keep this in your suitcase.
- Electronics: Dan and I were actually really good about not having electronics with us. We really only had our phones and I brought my Kindle. All other electronics stayed home. Even when we were at the resort though, all we saw were people sitting on their phones. We left our phones in the room on airplane mode and only used them when we wanted to take pictures. I checked my email once and Facebook once (on a day when I was sick). It was great to unplug!
- An Outfit for Every Day: The great thing about vacation, you spend it in your swimsuit and maybe change for dinner. You probably won’t get a fancy dress up dinner every night. So, pack some nicer dresses, a casual dress, a cover up, and some hang out clothes, and swimsuits!
- A Bunch of Shoes: You need three pairs TOPS. One pair for the beach/pool. One pair for travel. One pair for fancy meals/dinners. If you are really good, you can combo the travel shoes with either the casual or fancy shoes.
Keeping it minimalist when you pack for a tropical vacation is perfect. It keeps your brain clear and focused on the important things: fun experiences, relaxing, and YOU. It feels refreshing to pack light with only the essentials.
Check out my other travel posts here: