Summer brings forth its own love of reading. There is nothing like settling into a chair or towel near the beach, pool, camping, or even just in your back yard and cracking open a book while enjoying the summer heat and sun.
- The Hate U Give: This book has taken the book world by storm, and with good reason. It tackles race in America through the eyes of a teen who witnessed her friend getting shot by a police officer. This book is amazing and beautiful and tackles a topic that NEEDS to be talked about. Whether you are a teen yourself or an adult, you can read this book and it will give you a new perspective on everything.
- The Sun Is Also a Star: Nicola Yoon is a genius writer. Her first book, Everything Everything is in production to become a movie, but I think her second book is where she really shines. It is about a teen whose family is twelve hours away from being deported back to Jamaica. Just remember to put sunscreen on before diving into this book or you will surface several hours later, having devoured the book in one sitting, and be very sunburned.
- Hello?: This book does not have quite the massive spotlight as The Hate U Give and The Sun Is Also a Star, but that does not mean it isn’t brilliant in its own sense. And, honestly, I think this book should be in the hands of every high school student and parent and person around. Set in up north Wisconsin it delves into the lives of 5 teens who each have their own voice and who are connected through a phone call that changes their lives. It shows how one small action can truly change someones life.
- The Girl From Everywhere: Still one of my favorite books of all time, this book caters to the adventurous kid in all of us. Taking you through time and different adventures via a father, daughter, and their crew on their beloved boat. They sail the seas and can jump through time using certain maps, but they can only visit a map a single time.
- Caraval: This book will take you on a dreamlike adventure to Caraval. I am obsessed with this book and you will not want to put it down. Enjoy the ride and don’t try to figure anything out, because you will be wrong.
- Girl Against the Universe: A wonderful book about a female athlete that suffers from severe anxiety. As a female athlete who suffers from severe anxiety, this book changed my life. A must read!
Enjoy these books, and I hope you do not get too sunburned on this reading adventure. I would love to hear your thoughts on the books, please comment!
The books are available by clicking on the links above, or, as always, please support your local libraries!